Sunday, September 7, 2014

Georgetown to East Point

Dolly, Sue, David and I took a day to drive up along the east coast. We explored every fishing village along the way. It was a very nice and relaxing day.
First stop was Georgetown, the county seat of Kings County. Some great shops, and a wonderful day to just walk around.





We visited Canon Tuck's old church, Holy Trinity. Robert Tuck and I have been friends for almost 30 years. He wrote the book Gothic Dreams on Island architect William Harris, his great-uncle, and I used to make Mom and Dad drive me all over the Island long before I had my license, to photograph Harris' buildings, using Robert's book as a guide. This church is not a Harris, but was Robert's parish church when I first met him. He restored this church many years ago but now it sits empty. I fear it will fall down, but I think an effort has been made to slow the demise by installing a metal roof to presumably keep the church from leaking too badly until a use or benefactor can be found.




Back to William Harris: He designed the Kings County Courthouse in 1887, and it is one of his best buildings. Every time I am in Georgetown, which is about twice a decade, a do a little photo-shoot of the building.




 We stopped and walked around the wharves of Annandale



 We stopped at this beautiful little church in Little Pond
 Then on to Spry Point. The scenery was spectacular all day long

We drove as far as we could all the way to East Point. I was here once before, with Mom, Dad, Christopher, Grammy and Grampy, Joyce and Winnie in 1985. the lighthouse has been moved since then.

 
The following day we toured Orwell Corner historic Village, a Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation site, that interprets PEI village and farm life from c. 1895. We got to use our membership card! I have been a member of the PEI M&HF since, I think, 1981 or 82.

 Yep, there is a Munn in the cemetery


 touring the one room schoolhouse
This has given me an idea for our pump. we still have it, and I want to display it somehow. Next summer I want to build a platform, maybe in the west yard, and put the old pump on display.
 

 Dolly and the old store

Grampy told me that when he was young, going to Charlottetown by road meant gong through Orwell, so he knew this store from his youth. Other more direct routes became popular and Orwell was forgotten. Luckily, it wasn't destroyed, and that's why we have this great site to visit, a town that time forgot.  

 The kitchen in the house/ store/ post office
 the Parlour
 Dining Room
 upstairs








 Dolly loves animals and talked to all of them



When I stepped into this barn and pulled out my camera, I swear the goat got up on the platform, posed and smiled at me.
 working the crowd




 I love this house

 We then stopped in to look around Sir Andrew MacPhail's house

 We then headed up to Souris and walked the beach all afternoon looking for beach glass.
Another great day, showing Dolly, Sue and David a part of the Island they have never seen before, and frankly I never saw much of this region before either. Seems every summer is centered around the River, Montague and Charlottetown, which is fine, but I want to make a point of exploring more of the Island in the future. I say this every year, but next year won't be so consumed with house projects. Next time it might actually be true as an awful lot got accomplished this trip. More about that to come.  

2 comments:

  1. I love Orwell Corner, I'll have to go there next year. it's been 4 or 5 years since we were there. same goes for King's Landing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the pictures of Orwell Corner. I did inventory there when I worked for Museum and Heritage one summer. I'm pretty sure I've been under every stick of furniture looking for accession numbers!

    ReplyDelete