Friday, April 5, 2013

The Last of the Trip Photographs

Near the end of the trip I visited Carter at his home in Hunter River. Great to see him, as its been over 2 years! On my way back to town I stopped in to have a look at St. John's Church in Milton. It was designed by my favourite architect, William Critchlow Harris (1854-1913) in 1902. He is well known for his churches throughout the Island and Nova Scotia. I got interested in his work over 30 years ago and made Mom and Dad drive me all over the Maritimes searching for and photographing his buildings. I have them all, around 150. This is the only church with its original colour scheme, and was recently restored, so I wanted to update my photos of it.
 




Then I drove around Victoria Park. It was bitter cold but the view was spectacular. The house in the center of the photo below is Windermere, the very first house that Harris designed, 1877. Beaconsfield, home of the Heritage Foundation was his second house, also from 1877. A photo of it is on my March 22nd post.

 


 
The William Morris tablecloth from England that I sent to Mom in the fall. The pattern is called Pomegranate, designed in 1864. He is the same designer of all of the wallpaper I'll be using. If I ever paper the kitchen, it will be in Pomegranate.   
That is it for photographs from this trip. I will have some vintage photos on the blog soon that I borrowed from Mom's albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment