Friday, July 15, 2011

Bruce and Jane

David and I have some great friends here in Lincoln and Bruce and Jane are family to us. They wanted to get me something for the house for my birthday as well, so they are giving me ceiling medallions for the dining room and the big room in the basement. Ceiling medallions are a very typical Victorian detail especially on the Island. 

The house at the River never had them of course because it never had lights before. But I found a medallion on-line probably 9 or 10 months ago and it's been on my wish list ever since. I have held myself back from ordering them because, well, I didn't have ceilings or lights until now and there were more urgent things to buy. I particularly like the one I found because it is very much like what you would find in Island houses. Very sculptural, organic and 3 dimensional.

This is an example of Island ceiling plasterwork that I was looking to emulate. It is found in an 1886 house in Souris. The photo is from the book Inside Island Heritage Homes by James W. MacNutt.
They will be painted the same colour as the white trim against blue ceilings. These rooms will eventually get picture rail cornices as well and will add to the country/ formal feel of the space. 

This is it! 
The wallpaper for the dining room will be Golden Lily by William Morris and Co., a pattern designed in 1899. The floral patterns of the medallion and wallpaper will go great together.
And this is the light fixture that will hang from the medallion over the table

Thanks Bruce and Jane
Awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment