Thursday, June 9, 2011

To The Island & Back Again

On Wednesday June 1 I flew from Lincoln to Chicago to Ottawa to Moncton. It was probably the fastest trip back to the Island ever, 7 hours total, compared to 27 hours last July. Mom retired, met me at the airport, we drove to the Island across the Confederation Bridge, and arrived at the house about 6pm that evening. It was a beautiful evening, and pretty much the last good weather of the trip. I immediately starting snapping pictures. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves for the most part. 

I will cover the trip in several posts as there are A LOT of pictures to get through. These are form the first evening.

Below is the stacked sandstone from the old foundation, and the new porch peaking out from behind the poor old garage. It's gotta go soon. It is a hazard and ready to come down on its own. 
 New driveway
The foundation guy needs to come back for his beams. I've tried contacting him a few times. Messing up my grass!
There it was. As Aunt Hazel used to say, "big as life and twice as natural".
 
 It was a treat that Lois was at the house when I got there. Great to see her.

The moving truck was still there at this time. Dad had moved in with the help of Jim and Christopher the day before, with all of their belongings.
Lois took this pic of Dad and I
 
 
Dad and Lois

The trees are in bad shape and we eventually decided that many need to be removed. They are choking each other out and several roots were cut for the foundation trench anyway, so I'm assuming some of them will eventually die.


 

 
 Then we went in
Although the porch addition is small, there is surprisingly a lot of room in the back hall. Everybody commented on how wide and graceful the stairs are.
The skylights make the space
Then I took a peak into the bathroom and...
the tub of my dreams!
We then stepped up into the kitchen
great natural light
looking through to the dining room
We walked through and talked about it all, and it started to get dark, so I took one more photo that day. Electric light coming through the windows at dusk.
It was overwhelming and wonderful
More to come

No comments:

Post a Comment