Friday, October 23, 2015

New Deck

Last summer James and I built the deck at the kitchen door. I designed it as a kit, we picked up the materials and put it together in 2 days. That worked pretty well, so I designed the deck at the back door a few days before this trip.

This is what the stoop at the back door looked like before the work began.
I ordered the materials from Kent Building Supply in Montague on Thursday, the day after we arrived, and had it delivered the day after that. Saturday morning Dad and I got to work.
Its a floating deck, 8x12. The concrete supports distribute the weight.


I spaced out the decking to make sure the frame was the right width.

We built 3 frames, each 8x4, and connected them together. This was to make construction simple. the only tools we used was a circular saw, 2 electric screwdrivers and a hammer.





It took a lot of excavation. The ground was high there relative to the house, so we took out a lot of dirt and extended the downspout at the south corner to get water away from the foundation.


 We reused the steps that were at the back door. This is temporary.

Next year we will build another deck that will run across the back of the house and connect to this deck, and we will build better steps to the ground at that time.


I found this metal table and chairs at a yard sale. Dad will scrape off the old paint over the winter and I'll spray paint them when I'm back next spring.
Another project completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment