Saturday, July 14, 2012

To The Island & Back, Part III

...then we had lunch, and I took photos of the interior (you thought I was kidding when I said 900 photographs didn't you?).

This is Mom and Dad's china cabinet in the dining room. 
My sideboard, also in the dining room. It was painted purple when I got it. I refinished it about 20 years ago.
Looking through from the dining room into the living room. The trim is not on yet but Dad and I soon got that started. I also found prefinished maple hardwood flooring for the living room, as well as the tile for the entry. The tile goes in first, then the maple, and then the baseboard and trim can be installed. 
Looking from the dining room, through the butler's pantry into the kitchen.
Mom's Christmas Cactus, which was given to her by Grammy.
Dolly in the kitchen
The Dan Munn sideboard
The ceiling of the kitchen. This will look different by the end of the day.

The bathtub, one of my favourite things about the house
 
Dad and Mom hung this clock that Grampy made in the bathroom above the tub.
The George Lowe signature from the back hall side looking into the kitchen, and I think that is the kitchen witch that Aunt Joyce gave Mom.
Eatin Maple cookies
The kitchen porch. The wall boards are the former sub-floor of the old parlour, that were below the hardwood.
The old clock from Hopefield. I restored it about a dozen years ago. It looks like it was made for the kitchen shelf. 
The china cabinet that used to be in the parlour is now in the butler's pantry
Mom and Dad went to Montague so I saw my chance the "trim" the River Maple out front. The tree had 7 trunks, but one by one they have been dying off. One came down on it's own over last winter and crashed right where Mom and Dad parked their car, but they happen to be away that day. The tree is a danger, so we took down two of the remaining three trunks. It's only a matter of time before the last one comes down. The good thing is, this will give the Linden tree breathing room.
The state of the field so far. That will change a lot over the next 2 weeks.
Dad's chain saw needed a new chain, so we did this with an old buck saw. We'll clean up the stumps when the chainsaw is running.
When Mom and Dad came home, we worked together to take the branches down to the woods to Dad's burning pile.
That was a hot, still day
We also trimmed the Linden
There was a quick rain shower, and a rainbow came out over the field, kinda pointing toward the outhouse.
With the sun shining on the house from a black storm sky, I, surprise, took more pictures. Hey, these have to get me through the next year!
 
We also started building the first retaining wall in preparation for the landscape work to come.
 
 


That same evening, an electrician installed the front foyer light and the ceiling fan. We got many projects underway that day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment