Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What should happen here?

It has been a very…very long process to decide what the house needs, what the house will lose and how it will look. At one time, and not long ago, my idea was to restore the house exactly to the existing configuration. That would have meant no wiring or central heating, getting a new wood burning stove, and replicating the rear sun room as it is (it is totally rotten and I’m not sure why it is still standing). This also would have meant “restoring” the outhouse, but no one wants to use even a new outhouse. I struggled with the desire to keep the house completely original, but I realized that just isn’t practical.
So, what to do? The most important part of the decision was to determine how the house is going to be used in the future. One thing that has never changed, and will never change, is that the house will be available for use by the family to gather as we always have.
Another thing is, we plan to retire there eventually, so for year round use the house will have to be heated and have plumbing, and therefore electricity. For now it will be used for only part of the year so I also want to use systems and finishes that are sustainable and efficient.

I also realized that no matter how I tackle this project, it won’t be the same as it was when I was a kid. But that’s ok. We have our memories, which we can cherish, but now it’s time to make new memories. The work itself will be a memorable event. Still, I miss the old house already.

No comments:

Post a Comment