Monday, May 4, 2015

Fainting Couch Part 2

I just received these photos from Jim Culbert. The restoration is more involved than anticipated. The piece was obviously home made. Jim said it needed lots of gluing. One arm was broken in many places so he rebuilt it. He also replaced one rail that was made out of thin barn board.



The back is made from a wide board that must have come from a crate, and is stamped.
I did a Google search, and didn't find much, other than there is a Walkerville in Ontario, Michigan and Montana, and I'm sure there are more. I was talking to Dad about the couch and he doesn't know if it came with the house in Hopefield, which was owned by Alex Taylor, or maybe from Ira's house, or anyone else's house, and we also have no idea how old it is. I doubt if it came from Ira. He and his father were accomplished carpenters and I think they would have made a finer piece, plus, the story is the only piece of furniture to survive the 1941 fire that destroyed Ira's house was the sideboard that is now I the kitchen a the River. The couch was in Dad's home as far back as he can remember so its at least 75 years old, but it could be 150 for all we know. Its a mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment