Monday, November 26, 2012

The New Bridge

Lois sent me these pictures of the progress on the new bridge and fish ladder at the falls. The falls are now on the north side of the bridge. The bridge was constructed of prefabricated concrete and dropped into place. The bridge is no wider than it was before, still one lane. I hope by next summer the water is back up and the sides grow in and it looks a little more natural. Maybe this was necessary but it just makes me a little sad that it has changed. I suppose I feel the same way about the house too. When something is loved as it is for so long, change is hard to get used to. No one knows better than I do that the house needed a lot of help, and it turned out better than I could have imagined, especially with all of the hard work and attention to detail that Mom and Dad have put into it, but secretly (now not so secretly) I wish the house could have stayed the way it was forever. Dad especially had a hard time accepting the changes while the initial demolition work was under way, but now sees that it was necessary to save the house. There was nothing left to repair, only reconstruction would save the house.

This will be the new waterfall I'm guessing
The granite rock looks alien. There isn't any that occur naturally on the Island. This dam and waterfall have been in place since 1808, 2 years after the Munn's arrived from Scotland. However, they have changed in the past. I remember when the dam was one lane and had trees on both sides, covering the road like a covered bridge. That was replaced, I'm guessing, in the late 1970's. Thing is, I still miss the trees!



The fish ladder below

Looks like this line of rocks was part of the old fish ladder




Thank you Lois for the pictures

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Great pictures. Different than before, but like the house, it must have been a necessary thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read the blog for a while, Greg. Looks great. The fish ladder will probably be a good thing . They are doing something similar here at the creek on Mill road in Moncton. Removing the dam and old bridge. The old bridge has been there since 1923, the dam probably a lot older. The reasoning is to get the creek back to a more natural state, allow fish to pass. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete